I love scones. I think they're wonderful topped with devonshire cream and jelly. I found an amazing recipe for simple cream scones that I thought I'd share... Especially since I haven't posted any recipes in awhile:)
- 2 Cups of flour
- 1/3 Cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 Cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 Large egg beaten
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of Whipping Cream or Milk
- Oven should be set to 375. You should line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces, then blend into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. Blend until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl combine whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture. Stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- Knead dough on a floured surface. You can either roll or pat the dough into a circle. Then using a cookie cutter, cut the dough.
- Melt some butter and brush bottoms and tops of scones with butter, then brush the tops with cream.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Until browned.
Enjoy enjoy enjoy!