Thursday, December 3, 2009

Being content

"The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest"
-Psalm 85:12


I'm learning to be content with where God has me, has our family. For the past few weeks I've been struggling with the idea of being far from family and friends who are like family. I hate the idea of grandparents not seeing Riley grow, only seeing her every few months. I'm jealous of families that live close to their parents and brothers and sisters. I want that for our family so badly.

But, this is what God wants for us right now. Most days I fight Him about it, question our being in Monterey. What was once excitement is now anger and some disappointment. I really don't understand why we're here and not somewhere else. And when I mean somewhere else I mean near family. God knows though, has His reasons for bringing us here and that comforts me. That brings me peace and joy.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were talking about where we'd like to be. Where we see ourselves in a few years. She said she wanted to leave Southern California and doesn't know what she'd do if God wants her to remain there. That made me stop and panic in a way. I don't want God to keep us here for very long! But then I remembered why we came here in the first place: We wanted to follow where God lead us, no matter where that was. We were excited about that... Where has that excitement gone? Why aren't we content simply knowing that God has us here for a reason and will bless us while we're here?

I've found a new excitement for Monterey and whats in store for our family. I know my God is good. Always.

4 comments:

Patty said...

very encouraging marg. i am always my happiest when i am content with where i am at and what god has me doing. its not always easy :-)

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your current struggle. It is hard sometimes to follow His lead when you have other plans in mind. I always have to remind myself of that wonderful phrase "You make plans and God laughs." I am glad you are starting to find peace.

Lauren said...

It's always so easy to see the great in god and his doings in your life when it's what you want. Not so much the other way. Bravo for seeing the good, no matter how difficult it may seem.

O.F.C.J. said...

It is difficult sometimes. Very much so. I had an experience like that this summer. I didn't understand why I was there, and I didn't want to be...at all! But in the end, everything made so much sense and I was happy and grateful.

O.F.C.J.