Sunday, March 29, 2009

The joys of motherhood.


We just discovered that Riley can sit up on her own. Not for very long before falling forward or sideways, but she can do it. Tonight she was doing it for a good amount of time. When she falls forward she'll usually pushes herself up, so I decided I wanted to get a picture of this. Of course the time I decide to take a picture she decides to fall backwards. Fast. Then there is this loud noise, her head hitting the floor, and I drop the camera and I just stop breathing. Leif was putting up lights and grabs Riley right away. She doesn't breath for awhile but then she does and lets out a loud scream and cry. I didn't know how to react. I just sat there and then I just started sobbing, really hard. Leif was trying to comfort Riley when he realized he needed to comfort me as well. Riley calmed down after a few minutes, smiling and laughing, but I couldn't stop crying. I felt like a terrible mother. I still do a bit. Leif suggested I call my mom for some advice, I did. My mom made me feel better and reminded me that children fall sometimes. Its unavoidable. I know this, but I figured it wouldn't happen until maybe she started walking?

I know now that things like this happen:) I hope it doesn't happen again for awhile, but when it does I'm pretty sure I won't have a panic attack like I did tonight!

11 comments:

Jc said...

Yep give yourself a break. I fell on my head too as a kid and have a tiny scar from it on my forehead. I still went to university :)

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Stuff like that is so scary!

It does happen to kids a lot, like how kids can also roll off things if they aren't watched like a hawk. I've had my share of parental panic attacks too over other things. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I think Lucy teaches me more than I teach her. :)

Nicole said...

I was rocking Laila to sleep when she was about 3 or 4 months old, and I fell asleep before she did, and she fell out of my arms, so I know how you feel. I cried too!

Samaria said...

My hubby felt so horrible when our son first fell. I'm so sorry it upset you but you mom is right it was bound to happen some day but it doesn't make you feel any better. My son is 2 and I still get upset!

tnt5150 said...

New mommy woes. Those little bundles of joy are durable, and they are usually more shocked than hurt when they have little spills. Try not to take little mishaps personally..I'm sure you are a wonderful mom!!

Melissa Vossler said...

Oh girl - imagine my horrible, terrible and no good I felt when Lucas, at 5 months old, fell off my bed. My very high bed. While I was in the other room. On the phone. Thinking he was still asleep where I left him. Stuff happens - and will continue to do so. I am figuring that generally, you are a mom who tries with all her might to protect her baby - so in the times you just miss - don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us.

Chanel said...

i love both of your hair in this picture :)

Anonymous said...

I cried the first time Adonis fell, and it was off the bed. I felt like an awful mommy for taking my eyes off of him for 1 second. Don't feel too bad, these things happen our babies are strong.

Megan R. said...

Oh man. Carson has fallen out of a swing and landed on his face on hard wood floors. Fallen forward off of the couch (while I was busy taking pictures of him) and flipped over in the air and landed on his back on the floor. Tom picked him up, and smacked his head into the corner of the glass coffee table. It happens. You are a GREAT Mom!

Rania said...

awww....poor baby! And by "poor baby" I mean "poor mommy"! :) It's okay, your mom is right, babies fall all the time and will have many more spills and bumps even before they start walking. Your not a bad mommy - you're a GREAT one cause you picked her up and gave her tons of kisses and made her smile again. :) That's all she needed! That's what we, as mommies, are here for. Good job!

Nikki said...

GREAT photo of the two of you BTW - Remember when Nicholas face-planted into the remote control? I think it was you who posted that he'd be alright - it happens! Ha! But I know how you feel - Nicholas feel backwards yesterday too and it took a moment, but he did the screaming/crying thing. I felt bad - but what can you do? Ah! Put pillows all around him when he's sitting up. Hee hee! It's ok, Mamma! :))) *hugs*