Saturday, February 20, 2010

Our first night together.

I was a little nervous about my first night with Beck. Partly because it meant I'd be trying out breastfeeding, and partly because I'd be by myself. Since Beck was a c-section baby, I was allowed to leave him in the nursery in between feedings. Leif didn't stay over night with me and since I have to wait until this morning to be able to start walking around they don't want the baby staying in the room... I don't mind because that meant sleep for me! It turns out though, Beck has a very good temperament, and even if he had been in the room with me I would have slept fine.

The crying I witnessed earlier when he was first born was what I thought I would be hearing all night. I also assumed he would be impatient like his older sister when it came time to eat. I was wrong. I probably heard Beck cry twice last night. Once because he was cold and the second time because I stopped him from feeding to switch to the other side. Even the nurses commented on how he only cried when they changed his diaper and calmed down right away. I like the sound of this... Maybe this means having him share a room with Riley will work out a lot better than planned? We'll find out soon enough:)

About the breastfeeding. I prayed and prayed through out my pregnancy that Beck would latch on right away and we would both enjoy this time together. I don't have a negative view of breastfeeding but I don't have the most positive. I was confident that this time around breastfeeding was going to work out. And, it is! Beck latched on almost right away and has been feeding really well. Something I once dreaded I look forward to now. I couldn't sleep half the night because I was so excited to feed him again, to have him lay on my chest and just look up at me. I understand now why women love breastfeeding their babies. I feel blessed that I get to experience this.

I missed Leif tonight but at the same time, I liked being by myself with Beck. I liked that our first night together was just the two of us. This last night was definitely a night I'm going to cherish. One hour until I get to feed and snuggle with my baby boy again!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

oh Marge i'm soo happy that you are loving breastfeeding! it's amazing how different the 2 kids are, mine are the same way. Remember the first 2ish weeks of breastfeeding are the hardest but after that it's soo much easier! I'm soo happy for you, Beck is gorgeous and I bet Riley will be an amazing big sister!! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad your enjoying breastfeeding. It is an awesome experience.

Patty said...

I am so glad you were able to breast feed! How exciting :-)

bwdb said...

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!


I guess babies do come when they want to so was caught a little bit off-guard...Please accept my belated regards...Will look forward to seeing Beck's development as I do Riley's...Take care!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your family. I completely understand your struggles with breastfeeding. My daughter never latched on properly and feeding time soon become a source of frustration for both parties. When I had my son I was completely apprehensive. Thankfully, it was unwarranted because he latched on with no problem and was very patient with his nervous mama. I loved breastfeeding. I felt like this is what my body was meant to do and I was blessed to be able to do it.

Enjoy all the moments Margaret and enjoy the newest member in your beautiful family.

Rana said...

So glad you are enjoying breastfeeding and that things are going well for you. Congrats!

K-Bar said...

Im so glad that you are enjoying this time. This post made me smile. =)

Mama E said...

Did you see my comment about how our first breastfeeding experiences were almost identical? I sure hope I get to have a similar experience whenever I have number 2! Again, I'm so happy to hear things are going well!

Kris (Good Steward) said...

OMG! Congrats on your new addition! He is beautiful! I am SOOOO glad breastfeeding is starting off well for the two of you. Zakiah and I have been with this breastfeeding experience for a little over 8 months now and it has been so worth it even through some of the really rough patches (thrush). I never thought I would have made it this far and pray I can make it for another 3.5 months before switching her over to soy milk. Just got to take it one day at a time and enjoy the experience for as long as it will last. It is a wonderful bonding experience!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments! I am following your blog now! :)

ValeriesWorld said...

Congratulations to you and Leif, you have beautiful children. God bless you!