Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Recipes: Pancakes & Biscuits

I'm going to post two simple recipes that we have been enjoying the past few weeks. I love breakfast and all breakfast foods so I'm constantly looking for new recipes to try out. I used to just make pancakes and biscuits from the Trader Joes Pancake Mix, and while we loved it, I thought I'd try my hand at making both from scratch.

I found this recipe for powder biscuits and I love it! They're so easy to make and nice and light.

2 cups of flour
2teasponns baking powder
4 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of melted butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cups of milk


  • Set oven to 375. Powder a bread board/counter with flour.
  • Sift flour, then add baking powder & salt, and sift again. Cut butter into mix. Add milk gradually, until dough is formed.
  • Knead for 30 seconds. Powder a round cookie cutter and cut out biscuits.
  • Brush butter on bottoms and tops of biscuits before putting them in the oven.
  • Bake for about 20 minutes.
    makes between 8-10 biscuits
Now here is a recipe for buttermilk pancakes. They're amazing. I will never ever use pancake mix or any other recipe again, haha.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
3 tablespoons of melted butter
4 -5 teaspoons of vanilla
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Combine wet ingredients in smaller bowl. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix well:)
  • When heating up your skillet/pan, add olive oil.
  • Make your pancakes!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Ahh, I'll have to try your recipes out. While the mixes are so easy, it's always just as easy to make it yourself, and sometimes more delicious. Thanks!

Rana said...

These sound great. Can't wait to try them out.

Jackie said...

I've been looking for a simple biscuit recipe. I'll definitely be trying this one out. Thanks!